- Houston, TX 77058
Alpha Space Test & Research Alliance, LLC
Job Title: Spaceflight Project Engineer
Location: Houston, TX
Sr. Technical Recruiter
Alpha Space is a commercial space company on the forefront of the new-space frontier. We own and operate a commercial, external testing facility permanently installed on the International Space Station (ISS) called MISSE. We’re looking for a Spaceflight Project Engineer who will work directly with Alpha Space’s customers and the rest of the team to integrate all MISSE experiments and make sure they’re ready to fly. The successful candidate will be responsible for laying-out the MISSE carriers, designing the integration hardware, pre-flight environmental testing, and all other project-related integration activities.
- Reporting to the Alpha Space Program Manager, this position is responsible for integrating and de-integrating MISSE experiments for 2-3 missions to the ISS per year. Key responsibilities include:
- Act as the principal point of contact for MISSE customers for the duration of the mission. Help ensure that their experiments meet all requirements, are delivered to Alpha Space on time, can be integrated as planned, and will function as planned on-orbit.
- Design the MISSE carrier layout and hardware to ensure that all customer experiments fit and are compatible.
- Work closely with the rest of Alpha Space’s team to coordinate all integration, test, and de-integration activities
- Lead mission integration and de-integration. Hands-on work assembling & integrating payload flight hardware and ground support equipment, and conducting functional testing, as required.
- Lead payload meetings such as design reviews and technical interchange meetings
- Create and maintain project and customer documentation, including drawings, technical reports, budgets and schedules, and presentations.
- Support MISSE on-orbit operations as required
- Other duties as assigned
- Travel frequency is minimal. Evening and weekend work may sometimes be required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university or college
- At least five years of space engineering experience, including spaceflight equipment design
- Strong analytical and design skills. Proficient in SolidWorks, with a general knowledge of analysis, manufacturing, and spaceflight verification processes and techniques.
- Knowledge of, and experience with, ISS requirements, including quality and safety requirements
- Organized, with strong time management and project management skills. Able to ensure that the integration & de-integration processes come together as planned
- Excellent judgement and customer relations, communications, verbal, and writing skills
- Highly dependable, self-motivated, and accountable. Able work with a high degree of autonomy
- Enjoys working in a dynamic environment involving support to numerous customers, on-orbit operations, manufacturing, and testing
- Successful completion of a US Government background check is required
Why Choose Alpha Space?
- Is one of the only companies in the world that owns and operates a private testing facility in space, and you will be the hardware integrator.
- Delivers spaceflight hardware for launch to the ISS approximately every six months. If you’re a hardware person, Alpha Space is the place for you
- Is a small team in a family-owned organization, and you will be a critical, hands-on part of the team from your first day
- Offers the opportunity to collaborate with some of the brightest, most experienced, and committed engineering and technology experts in the U.S.
- Is under contract to design and build a payload to go to the moon
At Alpha Space we are shaping our own future and the future of commercial space every day! With a small, dedicated team and our own orbiting test facility, Alpha Space is an organization that provides the world the opportunity to truly reach for the stars.
Alpha Space Test & Research Alliance, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
EEO/AA-M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.