Job Title: Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Location: Houston, TX
Sr. Technical Recruiter, Alpha Space
Alpha Space is a fast-growing commercial space company on the forefront of the new-space frontier. We own and operate MISSE, a unique commercial, external testing facility permanently installed on the International Space Station (ISS), and we’re designing and building lunar payloads to extend our Space Testing as a Service (STaaS) business model to the moon. We’re looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join the design team to work on designing our lunar payloads and MISSE integration hardware. The successful candidate will be an experienced product development engineer responsible for designing and detailing mechanisms, structures, and electronic packaging using SolidWorks.
This position is responsible for creating mechanical, structural, and packaging designs for new products and concepts. Key responsibilities include:
- Generate design models and concepts using SolidWorks
- Generate detailed designs and manufacturing drawings, including selecting appropriate materials and fasteners, cable routing, etc.
- Ensure that the designs meet all technical requirements and are manufacturable and assemble-able
- Work with customers to understand their needs
- Work closely with the other members of Alpha Space’s engineering design, integration, and operations team. Check and/or review other engineers’ and designers’ work
- Work closely with the electrical design team to package printed circuit boards, connectors, wiring harnesses, sensors, and other non-mechanical design elements
- Hands-on work assembling and testing new designs and products
- Present designs at internal and external design reviews
- Other duties as assigned
Travel frequency is minimal. Evening and weekend work may sometimes be required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university or college
- At least seven years of design engineering experience in new product development for harsh environments, including some experience with spaceflight equipment and electromechanical systems
- Strong design and analysis skills, with a general knowledge of manufacturing, assembly, and test techniques
- Highly proficient in SolidWorks
- Competent and comfortable performing basic stress calculations. Competence with SolidWorks Simulator and Thermal Desktop a plus
- Organized, with strong time management skills and good judgement
- Highly dependable, self-motivated, and accountable. Able work well as part of a team but also with a high degree of autonomy
- Enjoys working in a dynamic environment involving support to numerous customers, on-orbit operations, manufacturing, and testing
- Successful completion of a US Government background check is required
Why Choose Alpha Space?
Alpha Space is one of the only companies in the world that owns and operates a private testing facility in space and is also on contract to design and build lunar payloads, and you be a key member of the design team. If you’re looking to carve your place in 21st century commercial space operations and lunar exploration, Alpha Space is the place for you.
We’re a family-owned business and a small team, and you will be a critical, hands-on part of the team, making an impact from your first day. At Alpha Space we are shaping our own future and the future of commercial space and lunar exploration. With a small, dedicated team and our own space test facilities, Alpha Space is an organization that provides the world the opportunity to truly reach for the stars.
Alpha Space Test & Research Alliance, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
EEO/AA-M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.