Job Title: Project Manager for Spaceflight Equipment Development
Location: Houston, TX
Sr. Technical Recruiter, Alpha Space
Alpha Space is a fast-growing commercial space company on the forefront of the new-space frontier, and we are extending our established Space Testing as a Service (STaaS) business model from the International Space Station (ISS) to the moon. We are on contract to deliver our first lunar test system in 2021 and we have been awarded a contract to develop our second, a general-purpose testbed called the Space Science Test and Evaluation Facility, First Flight (SSTEF-1), which is planned for launch to the moon in 2024. We are looking for a Project Manager to help us complete our first lunar system and to co-lead development of the SSTEF-1 system, along with our designated principal investigator. The successful candidate will be an experienced, accountable, hands-on aerospace project manager, engineer, and leader who enjoys technical collaborations and working in a dynamic environment with customers, suppliers, and our engineering and operations team to help make our spaceflight equipment projects a success.
- Deliver SSTEF-1 on time and on-budget.
- Establish and manage SSTEF-1 project requirements, scope, schedules, and budgets, including managing changes
- Manage all SSTEF-1 engineering, design, manufacturing, assembly, test, and delivery activities, including developing and delivering required technical and project documentation.
- Customer interfacing, reporting, and routine communications
- Assist in completing the Regolith Adherence Characterization (RAC) lunar payload and other projects as assigned
- Ensure all work is performed safely and accurately, meets requirements, and is done to the highest quality standards
- Subcontractor management
- Work collaboratively and closely with senior leadership to help Alpha Space grow and thrive.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, math, or physics from an accredited university.
- At least 10 years of demonstrable success managing complex, turn-key development and production projects, including at least five years leading the development, manufacturing, and certification of spaceflight equipment. Experience with firm fixed price development projects is a plus.
- At least five years of successful experience in customer-facing positions
- Proven ability to collaborate with internal and external teams to deliver high quality, fully compliant products on-time and on-budget
- Organized, with strong time management and project management skills. Able to plan work and ensure that it is performed as planned. Flexible, highly dependable, self-motivated, accountable
- Some experience in business development, proposals, and conference presentations/public speaking a plus
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely – written and verbal
- Positive attitude, comfortable with a dynamic environment
- Successful completion of a US Government background check is required.
- Some travel may be required
- Other duties as assigned
Why Choose Alpha Space?
Alpha Space is one of the only companies in the world that owns and operates a private testing facility in space, and you will help lead the expansion of that service line to the moon. If you’re looking to carve your place in 21st century lunar exploration, Alpha Space is the place for you.
We’re a family-owned business and a small team, and you will be a critical, hands-on part of the team, making an impact from your first day. At Alpha Space we are shaping our own future and the future of commercial space and lunar exploration. With a small, dedicated team and our own space test facilities, Alpha Space is an organization that provides the world the opportunity to truly reach for the stars.
Alpha Space Test & Research Alliance, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
EEO/AA-M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.