- Houston, TX 77058
Alpha Space Test & Research Alliance
Job Title: Payload Operator
Location: Houston, TX
Sr. Technical Recruiter
Alpha Space is a commercial space company on the forefront of the new-space frontier. Alpha Space owns and operates a commercial, external testing facility permanently installed on the International Space Station (ISS) called MISSE. We operate MISSE from our Payload Operations Control Center in Houston near the Johnson Space Center, and we’re looking for a professional Payload Operator who understands on-orbit payload operations and is passionate about making space payloads work. The successful candidate will be responsible for operating MISSE on a day-to-day basis, taking and processing on-orbit data, and helping Alpha Space improve its on-orbit operations.
Reporting to the Alpha Space Program Manager, this position is responsible for day-to-day MISSE on-orbit operations and related internal and external communications and coordination with NASA. This is an operations-focused position requiring the ability to work under pressure in a dynamic environment and make decisions using good judgement. Key responsibilities include:
- Performing MISSE nominal and contingency operations, including acting as the primary point of contact with NASA’s ISS payload operations groups
- Develop, maintain, and improve operations products such as flight rules, console procedures, daily logs, etc.
- Support and/or lead technical analyses relating to MISSE operations
- Learning and understanding the MISSE design and contributing to upgrade and trouble shooting discussions
- Retrieving, storing, and processing MISSE sensor data and photos.
- Monitoring and reporting MISSE status, performance, and anomalies to Alpha Space management
- Supports MISSE payload integration and safety analyses and reports
- Supports MISSE mission verification and delivery process
Travel frequency is minimal. Evening and weekend work may sometimes be required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, math, or physics from an ABET accredited university
- At least five years recent space payload operations experience
- Current or recent NASA operator certification required. Certified payload operator preferred, other NASA flight operations certifications will be considered
- Able to learn the MISSE system quickly and become its primary operator
- Excellent judgement and analytical skills
- Strong data management skills.
- Data analysis and reduction using scripting a plus. Experience with Python or other scripting languages a plus.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills
- Excellent relationship management skills
- Highly dependable and reliable
- Successful completion of a US Government background check is required
Why Choose Alpha Space?
- Is one of the only companies in the world that owns and operates a private testing facility in space, called MISSE, and you will be the primary operator.
- Is under contract to design and build a payload to go to the moon
- Is a family-owned organization that offers turn-key, fixed price testing services in space, including: integration, delivery, operations, data collection, and the return of the science and engineering test elements from space.
- Delivers its own spaceflight hardware for launch to the ISS approximately every six months. If you’re a payload person, Alpha Space is the place for you
- Is a small team and you will be a critical, hands-on part of the team from your first day
- Offers the opportunity to collaborate with some of the brightest, most experienced, and committed engineering and technology experts in the U.S.
At Alpha Space we are shaping our own future and the future of commercial space every day! With a small, dedicated team and our own orbiting test facility, Alpha Space is an organization that provides the world the opportunity to truly reach for the stars.
Alpha Space Test & Research Alliance, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
EEO/AA-M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.