- Houston, TX 77058
Alpha Space Test & Research Alliance
Job Title: Electrical Design Engineer
Location: Houston, TX
Sr. Technical Recruiter
Alpha Space is a commercial space company on the forefront of the new-space frontier. Alpha Space owns and operates a commercial, external testing facility permanently installed on the International Space Station (ISS) called MISSE. We operate MISSE from our Payload Operations Control Center in Houston near the Johnson Space Center, and we’re looking for an Electrical Design Engineer. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining, enhancing, and upgrading control systems, integrating and testing powered MISSE payloads, supporting on-orbit operations, and designing electronics for Alpha Space’s new projects, including our lunar payload.
This hands-on position is responsible for designing, upgrading, testing, and integrating electrical and electronic circuits and systems, including embedded systems, and associated project engineering duties. Includes prototypes, spaceflight hardware, and ground support/test equipment. Specific responsibilities include:
- Design circuits and subsystems, based on a system-level design, for use in spaceflight equipment, including designing and/or programming embedded systems, with limited supervision or oversight
- Creating board layouts and embedded system designs and overseeing their manufacturing, testing, integration, testing, and troubleshooting.
- Interfacing with customers to ensure that their powered experiments/payloads meet ISS and MISSE requirements, can be integrated as planned, and will function as planned on-orbit. This may include designing electronics and software to interface with customer active experiments/payloads.
- Responsible for MISSE avionics sustaining engineering – enhancements, upgrades, maintenance, and performance.
- Assist with design reviews, safety reviews, and verification activities
- Produce “build packages” for vendor quotes and production. Work with vendors/suppliers on component selection, manufacturing, etc.
- Hands-on work such as assembling, integrating, and testing flight hardware and/or ground support equipment may occasionally be required
- Plan, support, and/or conduct environmental testing of spaceflight hardware
- Support on-orbit MISSE and experiment operations
- Assist with project budgets and schedules as requested
Travel frequency is minimal. Extended hours may sometimes be required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or similar from an accredited university or college.
- Five years electrical circuit design experience with high-specification equipment for harsh environments, resulting in fielded products. Spaceflight or defense experience preferred, additional experience outside of the space industry also a plus.
- Expert knowledge of circuit design, digital communication protocol, and logic control systems.
- Current knowledge of the state of electrical component and embedded system design and use. Familiar with the effects of spaceflight on electrical components; able to correctly select components for spaceflight use Experience with analog instruments a plus.
- Creative designer with excellent analytical and design skills.
- Proficient in EAGLE, Altium, or similar circuit design software
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Proficient with common programming languages
- Self-motivated, focused on delivering excellent products on time and on budget.
- Proven ability to work autonomously, with a minimum of supervision, and also excel as part of a team.
- Dependable and accountable, and able to work effectively in a dynamic environment. Requires strong time management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and written and verbal communications skills
Why Choose Alpha Space?
- Is one of the only companies in the world that owns and operates a private testing facility in space, called MISSE, and you will be intimately involved with it.
- Is under contract to design and build a payload to go to the moon
- Is a family-owned organization that offers turn-key, fixed price testing services in space, including: integration, delivery, operations, data collection, and the return of the science and engineering test elements from space.
- Delivers spaceflight hardware for launch to the ISS approximately every six months.
- Is a small team and you will be a critical, hands-on part of the team from your first day
- Offers the opportunity to collaborate with some of the brightest, most experienced, and committed engineering and technology experts in the U.S.
At Alpha Space we are shaping our own future and the future of commercial space every day! With a small, dedicated team and our own orbiting test facility, Alpha Space is an organization that provides the world the opportunity to truly reach for the stars.
Alpha Space Test & Research Alliance, LLC. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
EEO/AA-M/F/disability/protected veteran status.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected status.